Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Throwing in the Towel

This is a post I never thought I would write.  After trying to get Kennedy to transition back to breastfeeding, I just don't see it happening.  I didn't expect it to happen over night, but it seems to be getting worse and worse.  She literally screams, kicks her feet and her arms are flying every which way.  She has ZERO interest in breastfeeding.  I have tried and tried.  I've done everything I can think of and have even brought back my postpartum doula, Angie, to help.  I've contacted a lactation consultant from 1400 miles away, who specializes in children with special needs.  We're all out of ideas.

This is so hard for me.  I always planned on breastfeeding.  I know that she's getting my milk, and that's ultimately what is most important.  But there are so many other benefits to the actual act of breastfeeding, especially for a baby with Down syndrome.  But I can't force her.  In talking with someone today, I realized that I just need to be happy that we have gotten as far as we have.  I was fortunate to have an amazing natural childbirth, I was fortunate to be able to breastfeed at least part of the time for the first 3 months, I'm fortunate to have a very generous milk supply.  Most of all, I'm fortunate to have such an amazing and strong baby girl who has overcome so many struggles.  I never in a million years thought I would see myself saying this, but really....in the grand scheme of things, breastfeeding isn't such a big deal.  Kennedy and I have a great bond.  She's still getting my milk.  As much as pumping it a real pain in the butt, it's not the end of the world.  I'm already 5 months into it, and I have 3 months worth of milk frozen.  Unfortunately that also means that my deep freezer is full.  I have absolutely no idea what we're going to do now.  We cannot possibly buy another deep freezer.  We just bought the first one in May.  (So if anyone is local and happens to know of someone selling a deep freezer, please let me know.  I'm not sure that I trust Craigslist.) 

With that said, I'm officially throwing in the towel.  I'm not usually one to give up.  I definitely don't give up with out a fight.  But Kennedy has been through so much in 5 short months.  If she wants a bottle, it's not the end of the world.  I want her to get breast milk for at least one year.  In a few months, I'll be able to stop pumping, or at least significantly reduce how often I pump, and still have enough frozen milk to get her to her first birthday, at least.  Most importantly I have a happy and healthy baby.  Does this photo say otherwise?


8 comments:

  1. oh Jen! I know this has got to have been a tough decision for you. But you're right, be proud of what you have accomplished and overcome. You are doing the best you can and meeting her needs. You are giving your beautiful little girl the best possible nutrition. Even if the physical benefits of breastfeeding aren't happening, she's got a wonderful mama who I'm sure will do everything possible to help her progress to the best of her abilities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it doesn't work, at least she's getting your milk! I wish I'd had the supply you do while I was pumping! I have one suggestion that you may have tried so just ignore me if you want, I just know that its worked for some people...supplemental nursing system. If the problem is that she just doesn't want to work for it at the breast that may help. But if you are done trying, well at least you are rocking the pump!!!! You HAVE been successful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cutie pie picture. Aw, i love it! Moms feel so many feelings of guilt all the time, it is so natural. But so hard to overcome those feelings and put them into perspective which you have done - you are right, it is not a big deal in the grand scheme of things!! Your kennedy has done so much, and you are always doing what is best for both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. instead of holding on to the milk, start switching out the newest for the oldest. You can even donate that milk to the hospital or to a family who has adopted. You have to get testing done. I had to get ride of 250 bags of milk because I never had to touch my frozen supply. I don't think you will either. As long as you have three months ahead, that's more then enough back up. Just a suggestion. Hitting a year of pumping in a few weeks and don't know if I what I want to do from here. Probably start weening her to whole milk.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jen, you are such a rock star of a mom. I understand the feeling of having to give up on breastfeeding and it's hard but just know that you are absolutely doing what is best for your baby girl.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hugs!!! My heart baby (TOF) was exclusively breast fed. He crashed at 3.5 months old and had emergency surgery to put in a BT shunt. He nursed once or twice after surgery but then started refusing. I fought for 2 months to get him back on the breast. I went to an OT who specialized in getting babies to latch, I traveled to a special needs IBLC, and I cried myself to sleep every single night. I knew I was still providing my milk, but I missed nursing Mason.

    I pumped until he was 7mo's old and then was unable to provide any more milk.

    In the large scheme of things, I should have been relishing that he was alive instead of crying over breast feeding.

    Hugs to you!!!
    Neysa (Mason's mom)
    www.preciousmason.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're right. You're doing what is the very best for her. When your life gives you bigger hurdles like OHS sometimes other things have to give a little. I'm sure it's very hard, but she really is still getting what she needs. And for the record, I got a great freezer on Craigslist a couple of months ago and it is sitting on the back deck almost full of breastmilk.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have you checked out Famous Tate for a freezer? They have scratch and dent items at a lower price than new.

    ReplyDelete