Thursday, July 28, 2011

Adventures From the Kitchen

I've been talking about making Kennedy's baby food for quite awhile, but wasn't really prepared since we started her a lot sooner than we expected  I also wanted to make sure she was going to go for the puree concept before I invested in anything.  For those of you that know how much I LOVE to cook, I'm sure you're all laughing right now.  (By the way - I really am getting better about cooking, I've got a few new hit dishes that my husband seems to love.  Or maybe he's just being nice.)

My mother in law ordered us a Baby Bullet last week, and it finally arrived yesterday!  I was so excited to get to work on my first creation.  It was perfect timing, since Kennedy had four days of peas already, she was due to move on.  I went to Publix and picked up an organic sweet potato.  Not only is making baby food a lot healthier, it's a lot more cost effective.  One potato can get you about 10 servings of sweet potatoes for about the same price as one package of Gerber sweet potatoes.  It's even better of a deal when the cashier rings it up as a "baking potato," therefore saving you about $1.99/lb.

I figured this couldn't be THAT hard.  After all, it's just a potato.  Of course, I ran into problems as soon as I cut into the potato.  Have you ever seen a white sweet potato?  I was incredibly confused, and spent 30 minutes trying to find out from other people, and Google what the heck a white sweet potato was?  Turns out most sweet potatoes are white.  Those orange things that you make casserole and pies out of at Thanksgiving are actually yams, despite the fact that they are often referred to as sweet potatoes.  Once I knew it was actually safe to feed Kennedy is this potato, I cut it into cubes and steamed it the microwave for 3 minutes.

Into the Baby Bullet it went.

Mixed with a cup of breast milk, and pureed for a few seconds, we had sweet potatoes suitable for my little monkey!  One potato for $1.09 gave us 10 servings of 1.5 ounces each.

Sweet potatoes were a huge hit in our house.  I think it's safe to say that it's Kennedy's new favorite!  Could this smile get any bigger???


I will say, I'm not sure if it was the sweet potatoes or if Kennedy has hit a new high with her energy level, but she was WIRED last night!  After barely napping all day, it was 9:30 and she was still kicking her feet, arms flying every direction, giggling and playing!  I don't mind if she's awake and happy, but I have to tell you, it was pretty funny.  It wasn't so funny at 4am when she woke up full of energy though.  I can't complain though, overall she's a great sleeper!  

I still find it hard to believe she's well on her way to being 6 months old, that we've gotten through so much in those few months!





1 comment:

  1. Yay! Im so glad your adventure went well. You are going to have to share your recipies with me. I plan on ebf as well as making our little mans food.

    ReplyDelete