Friday, October 19, 2012

{31 for 21} Do They Know?

Down syndrome does not define Kennedy.  Which is why it's not one of the first things I mention when we meet someone.  In fact, I rarely mention it.  Sometimes people make comments or ask questions.  It makes me wonder if they realize Kennedy has Down syndrome or if they just don't understand the delays associated with it.  Either way, it can sometimes be an awkward conversation.  And when I'm being quizzed by random strangers about her milestones, I usually don't know if I should just shut up or tell them that she has Ds and will do things when she's ready. I've found that when I do say something I usually get a comment like, "well it doesn't look like she has Down syndrome." Are they trying to make me feel better? Not that I need a reason to.  I'm not bothered by her Down syndrome, with the exception of dealing with inconsiderate people.  Are they doubting what I'm saying?  Or is it that she's changing their perception of what Down syndrome is?  I hope that's it.

(And by the way. Blogging fail.  I wrote most of this last night and fell asleep.  I realized it at approximately 12:30, 1:40, 2:25, 3:50, 4:30, 5:45 and 7:00 when I was awoken by Caleb to eat or by Kennedy kicking me in the head.  Of course both are sleeping soundly right now so I have time to post this.  I'm daily certain it's safe to say, our family is over hotel life.)

No comments:

Post a Comment