Monday, October 3, 2011

Unknown Strength (31 For 21 - Day 3)

When Kennedy was born, I remember saying that I didn't know how to take care of a baby with Down syndrome.  I didn't know how to deal with the challenges.  I didn't know how to deal with or how to get through open heart surgery.  But you know what, I am raising a baby with special needs.  We got through open heart surgery, and we did it pretty well if I must say so myself.  And, some how I find the strength to get through fighting the day to day battles.  Some days, the battles are the same as any other parent.  A non-napping 7 month old who is over tired, but doesn't want to sleep.  And other days I'm battling the state to provide Early Intervention services that Kennedy is entitled to.  I learned early on that I would be Kennedy's biggest advocate, and that I was going to have to stand up for what's in her best interest.  It wasn't always easy at first, but it's become like second nature now.  You never know just how strong you are until you have no other option. 

Of course, it helps to have a wonderful husband, and a great support system of family and friends to stand by you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment