Sunday, October 2, 2011

Dreams Do Come True (31 For 21 - Day 2)

One of the big struggles I had after Kennedy was born, was about what her future would be like.  Would she go to college?  Would she get married?  Over the past few months I've seen more and more beautiful stories of dreams coming true for individuals with Down syndrome.  Prom King/Queen, Homecoming Queen, and even a few wedding stories.  These touch my heart in a different kind of way, and make me realize that my daughter truly can do anything she wants to.  Her dreams will be different than mine, but my husband and I will do anything we can, to make sure that her dreams come true.  (That goes for all future children too.)

I always hate when people apologize that she has Down syndrome.  Or when they act like she "suffers" because of it.  Open heart surgery aside, I'm pretty sure there's not a single day that she suffers because she has Down syndrome.  Here are a few of my favorite news stories where individuals with Down syndrome are making their dreams come true.  They melt my heart and bring tears to my eyes.  Happy tears that is.  While I know this country isn't perfect, and there's a lot of cruelty in this world, these stories give me such an amazing feeling when it comes to Kennedy's future.  I know that she's going to do big things with her life - whatever they may be. 

Homecoming Queen
A Prom Dream Come True
Prom King and Queen
Prom King
A Fairy Tale Wedding

For now, we'll stick to going to the park, and playing on the swings.  For right now, that is a dream come true!

Some day I'll be able to run around and play like those big kids.

For now, I'll enjoy the swings!


Somehow this is the ONLY picture of the three of us from the wedding yesterday, and Kennedy was out cold.  She looked adorable though.


No comments:

Post a Comment