Tuesday, October 11, 2011

31 For 21: Little Miss Energy

One of the things I was warned about babies with Down syndrome - they sleep.  A LOT.  This was true for about the first 2-3 weeks.  I remember trying to wake Kennedy up to eat, and it was like pulling teeth.  At three weeks old, she was sleeping through the night.  She was always a good sleeper.  She'd have a night here or there, where she'd decide she would rather party, but for the most part, she slept 10-12 hours a night. 

After her heart surgery, that changed.  She was full of energy and didn't want to sleep.  It took some time after we got home from the hospital, but she was back on track!  The past few weeks, she's been in a period of major sleep regression.  The kid just doesn't sleep.  She is full of energy and wakes up in the middle of the night, ready to play.  She's not waking up starving, eating, and going back to sleep.  It's more like, I'm up to play for awhile.  Oh I think I'm hungry.  And no mom, I don't want to go back to sleep yet!  She spends hours awake in the middle of the night.  I try not to encourage playtime.  I'm just happy that she's awake and in a good mood, and not screaming her head off!  Even sleep deprived, I consider myself lucky! 

No mom, I'm not going to nap.  I don't care how long you swing with me, or how tired I am!

1 comment:

  1. Hailey, by far, sleeps less than either of my boys did. She does sleep through the night but is the world's worst napper! Thank goodness Kennedy's not waking up upset...maybe one day soon she will go back to sleeping through the night!

    ReplyDelete