Saturday, November 24, 2012

It Will Happen (Video Included)

I think it's safe to say that no matter what you may or may not go through in life, you have yours ups and downs. We've had a lot of major changes going on lately.  None of them really related to Down syndrome.  In fact, Down syndrome does not play a big part in our life.  But some days I do get a little sad about things.  Latley I've struggled a bit with Kennedy's speech delay.  Everyone is constantly reassuring me how wonderful she is doing, and I have no doubts about that.  I'm so incredibly proud of her.  But every now and then it hits me a little harder.  Especially when I see other kids her age doing things so easily when we work so hard. 

Today we made an impromptu trip to the park.  Because, well, I'm officially a North Carolinian now and I was thrilled that it was 65 degrees and a "warm" day.  So despite my middle of the night shopping trip induced exhaustion, we headed to Kennedy's favorite swing spot.  The same park that we had a play date at just over a month ago.  The very park that Kennedy took her socks and shoes off at, and refused to walk more than 5 steps.  Well, today, she didn't take her shoes off.  She spent the majority of the time we were there running around the grass.  She was wild.  She was happy.  She was the social butterfly that she always is.  The baby that wouldn't take more than 5 steps on her own outside of her home last month, was now RUNNING through the grass at the park.  I remember the days that felt like Kennedy would never walk.  And now, just three and a half months after she started standing independently for a few seconds, she's running!!!!!!!!!  When she took her first steps, I felt like we were far from having an independent walker.  But I think that we can officially call her that!  So although some days feel like Kennedy may never really "talk," I just have to keep reminding myself that she will get there. 

I should also mention that not only was Kennedy a social butterfly today, she was a stalker.  She was chasing after babies, toddlers and older kids, trying to play with their balls and run around with them.  Some of the kids were more receptive than others.  And none of the parents looked at me like I was crazy, as my toddler ran around kissing strangers.  I keep trying to tell Kennedy she should blow kisses to these people, instead of kissing them physically.  She isn't convinced.  Here's some video.

 
And one more.
 
 
Check back tomorrow for more photos.  I had computer problems that delayed my blogging tonight, but I have some seriously adorable photos.


3 comments:

  1. She's adorable!!! Growing up so fast! My second still isn't talking as such - and it's only been in the last week or so that I feel like he is making significant progress. He doesn't have Downs Syndrome or any other condition which may delay things for him, but he is a slow talker and until recently, I thought "is he EVER going to talk??!!" But while he's far from being understood, and still only stringing 2 familiar words together, that's more than he was doing a week ago so I can see that he will do eventually - when he is ready! And Kennedy will too, when she is ready. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Sorry, Blogger was playing up, I added a note as a reply to my last comment and it overwrote the whole thing with a non-sensical one :(

      Basically, I was saying how my LO is 26 months and he's still not talking as such - and in fact it's only been the last week where I've thought that ok, he WILL actually talk one day, as he's started putting two words together finally. But I totally get what you mean about that, and he doesn't have any reason for developmental delay!

      Delete