Friday, July 27, 2012

The Battle of Mom vs. Teacher

Today is one of those days that this battle comes up in my mind.  The kind of day where I just want to be mom, and not have to work so hard on the list of tasks from our new speech therapist.  The kind of day where it frustrates me to no end, that my sweet little girl has to work so hard at things that other kids pick up on so easily.  In my head, I know this is reality, and it's never going to change.  But some days I really just want to let her be a kid, and learn things at her own pace - and not have a mental checklist of all the things I need to work on with her.  She is doing really well, she's happy and healthy, and that's what matters.  She is absolutely perfect, but that doesn't mean that we don't have to continue to work on new things all the time, in order to continue on this trend.  As a parent, to any child - extra chromosome or not, you know the things that you teach your children are setting them up for their future.  And some days, like today, that thought is just exhausting.

Hey mom, look - I took all the containers out of the cabinet.

I love taco night!

 Can you get the beef out of my hair please?

While you clean up the fruit I threw, I'm going to unload my dresser.

2 comments:

  1. She is so darn cute! I love the determination in her stance!
    I remember that feeling when Cate was a toddler and now that Cate in is school and we don't have to work on PT or ST goals I'd like to tell you that it gets easier but I can't. It just changes. For kindergarten Cate had to do sight words every night and all summer - I'm guessing the rest of the class didn't have to practice that often. But the thing that makes it easier is that you can see the results of our work faster. Where as working on standing took months, learning new sight words takes a week and I get to see her recognize it in books every day. And you know the extra work makes her into a more determined person I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how you feel. I go through spurts like that, too. On days where it is too much, you need to just be mom. Even when you are just mom, you are a teacher...more than you realize. Some of Hailey's biggest spurts have come when we aren't trying and we are just hanging out, visiting with friends, or on vacation. Last week we were visiting family, she picked up 2 new signs and started walking with a walking toy for the first time. She is doing great and you are doing great...as both a mom and teacher!

    ReplyDelete