Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Turning Three

I'm dusting off the blog once again, with no promises to post more often, though I really wish I could.

Three years ago at this time we were getting ready to head to the birth center - hopeful that we would soon be meeting our daughter.  We had no idea it would be only a few short hours later.  It was a perfect birth, surrounded by the perfect people, and we knew right away that our daughter was perfect.  We had no idea she had Down syndrome.  It was the shock of our life when our midwife told us.  Three years ago the words Down syndrome terrified me.  To no end.  I had no idea what to expect, and no idea how our life would be different than we expected.  Three years later, I regret how terrifying those times were.  I regret that I spent so many hours crying in fear.  Just like the day that she was born, Kennedy is still perfect, in every way. An added bonus, is that her heart now works perfectly too.

I cannot even begin to say how much she has grown and how far she has come recently.  Had I been more O'd a dedicated blogger, you probably would have seen more posts from me about my fears regarding her speech. Talking has not come easy, and there were many days that I feared she wouldn't talk.  Sort of like it felt like she would never walk.  But in reality, I know that some kids with Ds never do talk.  It was a huge fear I had.  And I'm happy to say, that her language skills are growing by less and bounds.  She's adding new words every day. Words of her choosing of course. Often food related, objects she wants or tasks that she wants to do.

The idea of sending Kennedy to pre-school terrified me for a long time, and quite honestly it still does.  Especially the idea of a full day of school.  We recently toured a local school. Kennedy jumped right in with the other kids and wanted to participate in each of the classes we visited.  In the final room, she decided she wanted to stay and hang out.  She wasn't phased by walking away from my husband or I.  She went right to the circle and when they got up for snack time she was right in line with them to wash her hands.  I had to hold back tears as my husband and I left the room, with her there, having a snack.  It was that moment that I realized, Kennedy is ready for pre-school.  It's me who is not.  But I'm putting my fears aside, and in a few weeks she'll be starting school.  She's going to love it.  I know she will.  Caleb and I on the other hand, will be lost. So if you're local, lets start planning play or coffee dates, because we will both need something to keep our mind off the change!

It is so incredibly hard to believe that three years have passed.  I am so proud and amazed by the little girl that Kennedy is turning into.  She has taught me more in three years than I could ever imagine.  She is a FABULOUS big sister.  She loves Caleb so much and shows it every day.  The hugs and kisses, the way they play together, the way she *tries* to soothe him when he is upset.  The way they cuddle each other when they both crash our bed. They are truly best friends and teaching each other so much right now.  I love seeing their relationship grow stronger each day.

Three years ago, I would have never imagined my life where it is today.  It's so much better.  And the reality of it, Down syndrome will always be a part of our lives, but it certainly doesn't dominate it.

Happy birthday baby girl! Mommy, Daddy and Caleb love you to the moon...and back!

I'll be sure to post some adorable photos soon!

12 comments:

  1. This is a brilliant blog! I'm very happy with the comments!..
    buy heroin online

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very educational content and written well for a change. It's nice to see that some people still understand how to write a quality post!
    fish scale coke

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a hard time describing my thoughts on content, but I really felt I should here. Your article is really great. I like the way you wrote this information.
    buy black tar heroin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic.
    buy black tar heroin

    ReplyDelete
  5. https://goldenexoticpets.com/

    Golden Exotic Pets.

    goldernexoticpets@gmail.com

    +1 (231) 259-1445

    Business is never so healthy as when, like a chicken,

    ReplyDelete
  6. https://www.kushdispensaryonline.com/

    kushdispensaryonline

    +1 (213) 732-7088

    There are two types of people who will tell you that you cannot make a difference
    in this world: those who are afraid to try and those who are afraid you will succeed

    ReplyDelete
  7. best cocaine shipper to dubai, Buy cocaine in dubai, buy cocaine in dubai discreet, buy cocaine in japan, buy cocaine in qatar, buy cocaine in Saudi Arabia, Buy cocaine Israel, cocaine buy Asia, cocaine for sale in dubai, cocaine for sale in qatar, cocaine for sale in Saudi Arabia, cocaine man in dubai, cocaine supplier in dubai, order cocaine in dubai, order cocaine in japan, order cocaine in qatar, order cocaine in Saudi Arabia, Pure Cocaine In Dubai, ship cocaine in dubai, where to buy cocaine in dubai, where to buy cocaine in qatar, where to buy cocaine Israel

    Telegram: jamesalex241993

    Text: +1 (937) 601-3401

    WhatsApp: +1 (937) 601-3401

    ReplyDelete